Wednesday 22 February 2012

No longer number one

G & T - 26-and-a-half months  M - 4-and-a-half months

The twins were in the bath last night in their swimming costumes (what can I  say? Sometimes a little extra persuasion is needed), when T piped up, 'Are we going to the swimming pool?' Before I could answer, G turned to her and said, 'No, honey, we'll go to the swimming pool later. It's bathtime.' Do you ever get the feeling you're becoming redundant? As you struggle through the difficult first few weeks and months with twins, it's hard to believe everyone who tells you you're going to get payback big time when they are toddlers. But it's true. They entertain each other so well, concocting complex games and laughing uproariously at things I don't have a hope of understanding. If I didn't have my little M, I'd be able to sit back and relax. Drink a whole cup of tea. While it's still hot. Bliss. Kind of... After over two years of feeling exhausted and dreaming of time to myself, now the twins give it to me, I find myself missing the constant demands. I liked being the centre of their world. The one they relied on. I guess that's being a mum for you. But they're growing up, becoming independent, and I'm proud of the little ladies they're becoming. Still, it is nice that still, only Mummy is good enough to kiss their 'ouchies' better. And when they suddenly decide I should join in their secret game, I feel a sort of happy tingle. Even if I have no idea what's going on. So when M starts to shun my company in favour of  her sisters', I'll appreciate the space and wait to be called to join in. I'll sit down and really enjoy that cup of tea. And maybe even eat a biscuit unmolested. Watch some TV. I won't just sit there listening to their games and feeling left out. Honest...

No comments:

Post a Comment